Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
From: Ingo Molnar (mingo_AT_elte.hu)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 11:52:46 EEST

> below i've also attached a softirq.c patch against 2.6.8-rc2 that does
> unconditional deferring. (this patch is of course not intended to be
> merged upstream as-is, since normally we want to process softirqs
> right after the irq context.)

i've got a more complete patch against vanilla 2.6.8-rc2:

 http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/defer-softirqs-2.6.8-rc2-A2

which introduces the following tunable:

    /proc/sys/kernel/defer_softirqs (default: 0)

this, if enabled, causes all softirqs to be processed within ksoftirqd,
and it also breaks out of the softirq loop if preemption of ksoftirqd
has been triggered by a higher-prio task.

I've also added this additional break-out to the -H6 patch of
voluntary-preempt:

  http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-H6

it's enabled by default.

        Ingo