Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to run 4 instances of music player (Alsaplayer) smoothly ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to run 4 instances of music player (Alsaplayer) smoothly ?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 00:10:16 EEST

Hallo,
Robert Rozman hat gesagt: // Robert Rozman wrote:

> I'd like to include music players in my home automation system. I'd
> like to run 4 instances of music player - but I want them all to run
> with sufficient resources - not to do hickups when there is
> something else on server....
>
> Any advice, help ?

If you run "alsaplayer -i text --realtime" you get to run alsaplayer
in "realtime" mode, which is very resistant to dropouts. You also
could play with larger values of "--fragsize". This should make sure
you get click free operation.

Depending on what kind of card you use, you'd need to set up an
asroundrc so that multiply instances of alsaplayer can access
different channels on the same card. I think, this is done with the
"share" or "multi" plugins.

Ciao