Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
From: Mark Lord (lkml_AT_rtr.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 15:41:30 EEST

Note that the method used by hdparm tends to underreport
achievable throughput somewhat, because it generally only
ever has one I/O "in flight".

Cheers

--
Mark Lord
(hdparm keeper & the original "Linux IDE Guy")

Lee Revell wrote: > On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 08:19, Jens Axboe wrote: > >>On Tue, Jul 20 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote: >> >>>>How much I/O do you allow to be in flight at once? It seems like by >>>>decreasing the maximum size of I/O that you handle in one interrupt >>>>you could improve this quite a bit. Disk throughput is good enough, >>>>anyone in the real world who would feel a 10% hit would just throw >>>>hardware at the problem. ... > According to hdparm, the throughput is still quite good (42MB/sec on a > sub-$100 IDE drive).