Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.1.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.1.0
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 15:05:00 EEST

Thorsten Wilms:

> Additions to the Announcement:
>
> Holding down ctrl freezes the precision axis, so
> only the value can be changed.
>
> Holding down shift freezes the value axis, so
> that you can scale the fan up without worying
> about unintended value change.
>

> There will be a context menu with copy, paste,
> (reset to) default, center, previous value
> (like undo).
>

> Sine the standard middle click action will not
> work that good with sliders, we thought about
> using it for reset to default or center. But
> we would like to see some standardization here,
> so what other actions are assigned to middle
> click in other (linux) audio apps, and what
> does everybody think about this?

I don't think you should use the middle button for anyting.
With scroll-button mouses (which everyone should use), the
middle button is very unconfortable. What about
some creative use of the scroll-wheel instead? The obvious
use is of course to change the value with the scroll-wheele.
I think that would be nice.

> There have been some drawing errors happening
> when moving the fan out to one side and then
> the other in one go. But they are actualy hard
> to trigger, so please stress test the demo and
> report to Pete, so we might find out where the
> problem lies.

I can't trigger that, but the flickering is annoying.
How about double-buffering the thing?

Another thing, in some situations, I think I would prefer
that the fan is always at maximum size. Could that be
made as an option in the API?

Besides from that, very very nice! I'm thinking about using
it in my configuration code for SND. But the flickering
needs to be fixed.