Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.1.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.1.0
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 17:00:49 EEST

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 08:05, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> > Sine the standard middle click action will not
> > work that good with sliders, we thought about
> > using it for reset to default or center. But
> > we would like to see some standardization here,
> > so what other actions are assigned to middle
> > click in other (linux) audio apps, and what
> > does everybody think about this?
> >

> I don't think you should use the middle button for anyting.
> With scroll-button mouses (which everyone should use), the
> middle button is very unconfortable. What about
> some creative use of the scroll-wheel instead? The obvious
> use is of course to change the value with the scroll-wheele.
> I think that would be nice.

I have a wheel mouse and use the wheel as a middle button all the time,
for X-style copy and paste. I don't mind it.... if someone can think of
a function for it there's no reason not to use it

I do think the wheel should change values though, with the steps being
configurable in code to make getting nice round numbers simple and
quick. ie for a [-1, 1] slider, every tick of the mouse wheel could be
0.1, so getting to 1.0, and 0.0, etc. would be quick and not require too
much hand movement.

-DR-