RE: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: MIDI groove theory

Subject: RE: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: MIDI groove theory
From: philicorda (philicorda_AT_ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 03:17:58 EEST

iain duncan wrote:
>>I think that 'groove quantise' does have quite a specific meaning :
>>> To take the timing from one midi part, and apply it to another.
>>> So, you get the midi timing from a real drummer grooving away and
>>apply
>>> it to your beat. Then it pulls your beats to the nearest beat in the
>>> groove, rather than to the normal 16th or whatever.
>

>That was one sequencer's implementation of the term, but certainly not >a
>universally accepted strict definition.

I guess so. It's only Cubase that calls it that. Emagic logic, Fruity
Loops, Pro Tools, Groove Slicer, Cakewalk Sonar and Digital Performer
all call using the timing from one part on another a 'groove template',
which is much clearer.

If the 'groove' was pulling the notes towards a dotted or triplet feel,
I'd call it 'shuffle' or 'swing' to differentiate it.

'groove quantise' should perhaps be used when a sequencer or drum
machine is applying a groove more complex than a simple triplet feel,
but not using a template based on another recording.