Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI API
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 04:30:23 EEST

On Friday 13 August 2004 04:35 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 16:17, John Check wrote:

> > > Well, once Jack has MIDI, all we need is a jack-over-ethernet driver,
> > > and the world is ours! :)
> >
> > Has anybody looked at Nelson P Lago's research and code?
> > It's crickets and tumbleweeds anytime I've mentioned it.
> >
> > > (Network transparent low latency sample-accurate cross-platform MIDI
> > > and audio... mmmm...)
> >
> > NIH I guess.
>
> No, it's just that I don't think any of the Jack developers have time.
> You are welcome to join jackit-devel and start posting patches. Maybe
> someone is even working on it already.

Well, what I have is currently implemented as a LADSPA plug in so it already
works with jack.
Even though I'd like to see the theory outside the plug in framework I have
other priorities at the moment. This particular thing is just one piece of a
much bigger puzzle and whenever I see requests for the functionality the
people asking get blown off.
Truthfully? The main problem I have with the code now would get fixed faster
if I flipped burgers for a week and bought a code monkey than if I read
Stroustrup and neither of those tactics is an efficient use of my time.

If anybody is interested in looking at the template clash I can put a bounty
on it.