Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 20:53:56 EEST

Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> writes:

> Another interesting comparison is modular digital multitracks
> such as ADAT and DA-88. Anybody know how sync works on those
> beasties?

I think ADAT sends a wordclock-like pulse over the optical link. One
machine is master. All the others slave their converters to that.
Given sample synchronicity, doing the tape I/O is just a buffering
task that each device can manage independently.

Synchronizing the A/D converters is important for serious multi-track
recording. Otherwise, there can be phase and jitter artifacts when
mixing the tracks.

I would suppose that Tascam does something similar.

--
  joq