Re: [linux-audio-dev] Diode wave shaper (LADSPA plugin)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Diode wave shaper (LADSPA plugin)?
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 15:43:14 EEST

On mån, 2004-08-16 at 12:45, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:13:51 +0200
> Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be> wrote:
>
> > This is a bit too simple. The diode circuit does not perform hard
> > clipping when driven at moderate levels.
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > out = tanh (in) (or tanhf() if available)
> >
> > or
> >
> > out = in / sqrt (1 + in * in)
>
> Both of those would probably sound better than what I posted,
> but the original circuit had a 12k source impedance. As soon
> as the the input overcomes the forward voltage drop of the
> diodes the impedance of the diodes drops to the low hundreds
> of ohms.

Wouldn't the current be limited by the 12k resistor, so that the
impedance of the diode won't drop as fast as you suggest?

Anyways, here is a variation on the same theme, supposedly synthesizing
tape saturation:

http://home3.netcarrier.com/~lxh2/tapesat.html
http://home3.netcarrier.com/~lxh2/tapesat2.gif

/jens