Re: [linux-audio-dev] Diode wave shaper (LADSPA plugin)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Diode wave shaper (LADSPA plugin)?
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 18:25:02 EEST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 04:49:47PM +0200, Stanley Jaddoe wrote:

> I did some SPICE emulation (Alfons: I know, I'm not a (real) engineer) and I
> never saw a tangentfunction-like output...

The formula I posted does not contain a tangent, but an *hyperbolic* tangent.

> Assuming one input and one output, (instead of the shown three inputs in my
> first post), if the input signal is a triangle wave, I should get a (not
> perfect) sine wave.

It _that_ is the purpose of the circuit, there is an even simpler and better way:

Let x(t) be a triangle wave between -1 and +1, then

y = x * (2 - x) if x >= 0
y = x * (2 + x) otherwise

will give you a very decent sine wave.

--