Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 02:53:35 EEST

On Monday 16 August 2004 07:24 pm, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, John Check wrote:
> > That was exactly what I was thinking when the penny dropped for me.
> > Originally I was thinking of offload the softsynths, but FX are expensive
> > too. The ideal is to make a total system, but make it modular, and give
> > it the ability to connect with existing commercial systems via a VST
> > counterpart to the plugin.
> > We need to take over incrementally and this is a killer strategy to get a
> > toehold.
>
> Now watch roland or some yamaha engineer lurking on these mailing lists
> file a patent after reading that email, then come around and sue you
> later for implementing your own creation.

Not my creation, I hate coding ;) Besides, there's prior art. I'm untouchable,
you could sue me from now until forever and it's not going to change my life
one bit.
This is all stuff that's here _today_ with sufficient quality to bootstrap
into something worthwhile, but it's not going to happen anytime soon
with the amount of chaos involved.

Besides, _my_ goal isn't making the systems per se, it's taking the headache
out of this stuff so that regular people will use it.

What I've got is insight into pro audio, business, and linux expertise. I was
just about ready to completely shitcan computers from the mix and start
living solely off of music _again_ when I started to see the potential.

> (eg, someone here should patent it first before roland/yamaha/etc does)

Prior art. So, like, you work for Roland/Yamaha, right? ;) They can always buy
me off.