Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.2.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.2.0
From: Thorsten Wilms (t_w__AT_freenet.de)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 12:19:46 EEST

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:50:19AM +0200, Frank NEUMANN wrote:

> But there is one thing about the fanslider I can't understand: If (one of)
> the ideas of this widget is to let the user easily select a fine-grained value
> from a small widget that consumes little screen estate, why does the fan
> cover the numeric value (in an opaque way) when it is opened "over" it?
> I know that it might be more costly (CPU-wise) to have semi-transparent
> fans, but in the current state I don't see the reason of making a fine
> adjustment without seeing the numerical value of what I change (and now
> don't suggest to "just open the fan to the opposite direction" :-). Can
> some kind of transparency be added? Or maybe even better, can the numerical
> value be shown as part of the fan (somewhere in its middle perhaps?)
>
> Is there something I am missing? The idea is quite nice, but I feel like
> the concept has not been thought out until the end..

In the original concept the fans were meant to be transparent.
And the next Xorg release might make it possible to nicely implement
them that way. But Pete will be working on Specimen itself for a while.

The main scenario for the sliders is setting the value according
to your senses (how it sounds or looks right), not staring at
some numbers anyway.

And opening the fan in a direction where it will not hide something
you want to still see isn't the worst idea.

---
Thorsten Wilms