Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 18:26:16 EEST

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 07:17, John Check wrote:
[blah, blah, snip]
> So What's Your Plan Smartass?
>
> First thing is to improve the documentation factor to help make things easier
> for the brave. Right now it's a Gordian knot and here are what the scissors
> look like. I expect we all know what a MIDI implementation chart is.
>
> I'm going to whomp up a database driven reporting system that extends the
> concept to include protocol and library support and has some
> Wiki like features. One will be able to search for specific types of programs
> with specific criteria like:
> Sequencers with LADSPA, JACK, DSSI, MESS, OSC, PHAT (Yes PHAT is that cool)
> Hits will come back in table form with checkmarks in the appropriate columns,
> ranked by how much of a match and a "freshness" date.
> The app name will link to the project site and there will be additional links
> to the primary documentation and the Wiki, if one exists.
> There will also be a link to and reporting form for an MI chart.
> Forms will be radio buttons/check boxes/combo boxes.
> The only text input will be for URLs. This should minimize grammatical and
> language issues as well as make internationalization easy.
> Links will be validated at a regular interval and 404's will generate an email
> to me, or if someone has taken responsibility for a project, that person.
> Bounced emails to that address will be returned to me for further
> investigation.
> This is intended for both developers and end users. It will take no more than
> 5 minutes to file a complete report.
> This may sound like a burden for the developers, but no more than a Wiki is a
> burden on users. I'll prime the pump with some reports on what I use myself.
> Newly interested users looking to help out on projects should find filing a
> report to be a good way to begin.

I'm happy to see that this email has finally gotten around to an actual
concrete task that needs doing...

IIRC, Dave Phillips has said numerous times that he would like
linux-sound.org to be a better (more automated, database driven) page,
but doesn't have the time.

I know I wish I could search for only jack/alsa seq apps, and filter out
all the OSS noise. page_votes++

[snip]
> Despite the apparent lack of popularity of the idea, it will have distributed
> processing as an option. This will allow for incremental penetration and
> interoperability with
> existing systems.

Can't say I care even a little tiny bit about the "business angle", but
jack-over-eth is IMO an incredibly awesome idea. If noone's working on
it in a year or so I'll do it for my CS honours project. :)

-DR-