Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: Nelson Posse Lago (lago_AT_that.com.br)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 20:31:25 EEST

Quoting Dave Robillard <drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca>:

> I still say networked audio belongs in jack, not a plugin.

It belongs in both:

 - If you want to use the network to increase your total processing
   power, you probably just want to offload some plugins to a remote
   machine. Sure, you may run jack-rack remotely and send/receive
   the data through a jack client locally, but this may become a
   mess in some situations if you need the plugin to be run "inside"
   an app. It also prevents you from using any kind of plugin
   automation. Therefore, is such cases it is more interesting to
   use ladspa for the distributed processing.

 - OTOH, if you need something more complicated to be done remotely
   (like disk I/O or running a complete instance of ardour), using
   jack (as both me and Steve Harris described in other messages)
   may be better.

> I guess a VST solution existing would suggest otherwise

VST System Links works on top of ASIO, not VST. Don't know about
FX-Teleport.

> I think it's a stupid idea well outside the realm of plugins (especially
> LADSPA, which shouldn't be sending things over a network)

It is a hack, but a useful one.

> your patches are going to have to be specifically
> set up to be sending crap over the network (ie they'll have to have a
> special plugin loaded, and all the audio going into that).

And why is that a problem? You just load a special plugin that appears
to be the plugin you intended. The app can't tell the difference.

> If it was Jack, everything in every app could be set up just as usual,
> and it would be sent over the network by jack, unbeknownst to the app.

In my system, everything is completely transparent to the app.

See ya,
Nelson