Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 23:11:38 EEST

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 06:43 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:11:35PM -0400, John Check wrote:
> > Heheh, I didn't think of i18n until you said it.
>
> sure you did!
>
> >From your post:
> >
> > The only text input will be for URLs. This should minimize
> > grammatical and language issues as well as make internationalization
> > easy. Absolutely. Like I said I bounced the idea off of DP first, and I
> > can host linux-sound or he can pull pages from me. 6 of one .5 dozen of
> > the other. He's got the traffic already, so let the mountain go to
> > Mohammed.
>
> it's just a domain name. thanks to DNS both mohammed and the mountain
> are very movable :-)

I love the Internet :) BTW, I do my own mail/DNS etc so when it's ready to
flip the switch it'll be an easy transition.

> > It'll be slashdotted on the first day. I'll but in a second machine and
> > round robin the first week.
> >
> > > (Out of my own curiosity as a potential collaborator:
> > > What's your preferred web app platform? And how much time during
> > > that 7-10 days do you think will actually be spent working on this
> > > project? And do you have a host in mind?)
> >
> > Linux/Apache/PHP4/MySQL
>
> ok, i'll hit you off-list about implementation issues.
> or maybe we could chat about it.
> what's your nick on #lad?
> and what timezone are you in?
> I'm slinkp and I'm in EST (brooklyn, NY).

Sweet, I'm on Long Island. I'm going to be in the city tomorrow or next day,
so we'll do that, or possibly... I was planning on having my partner in the
hosting thing out here on saturday just to hang out. Could make it a meeting.

> > > btw, are you aware of http://linuxaudio.org ?
> >
> > I am now. Okay that's very cool. I've been wanting to say "synergize"
> > since I got here, but I didn't want anybody to laugh ;)
>
> just curious... how long have you been "in the scene"?

Define scene? Heres a quick bio.
I'm 44. I started playing with tape decks and stuff when I was about 7-8.
Started playing instruments around 16 (no formal instruction - too bad, Herb
Deutsch was music teacher in my HS). Started overdubbing around 18, with
two decks and some wire. Got into MIDI around '87. Decided to actually train
for audio in '89. Bought first computer sequencer around '90 (Vision on Mac)
Started working as a soundman in '91 on the oldies circuit (Emil Stucchio &
The Classics), also landed first studio internship and private sessions.
Interned for a month and started running sessions. Due to luck and hard work,
made Chief inside a year (commercial project studio - was
high end when it was built). Did that until '97 when a chronic health problem
blindsided me. Got into Linux while I was recuperating expecting to land a
sysad job. Started consulting in '99 just in time for the job market to
evaporate. Started contributing to FlightGear flight sim around the same
time. Became a core developer (yeah I was surprised too) not too long after.
I think that may have been due to locating some breakage due to a change in a
library it uses. Started with graphics, then did some documentation, then
started a CVS repository for base package files. Once FGFS got xml support, I
did some panel and configuration files, booth time at LinuxWorld (was
conference faculty and boothmeister in '02). All in all spent 5 years,
watching it go from "push the throttle and sit back" to 3 full fledged
flight dynamics engines and AI traffic. It got a little esoteric after a
while. I mean, I'd like to get a pilots license, but who wouldn't. Anyway,
I'm pretty sure I could land a 747 ;)
Aaanyway, this year I realized that while I was working at studio, we also did
open jam sessions where I was the "shill" for 2.5 years. Being primarily a
bass player (and drummer) I had "a second job" that amounted to full time.
40+ hours a week of ensemble playing. No coffee breaks. No lunch hour.
That's a pretty rare circumstance. Touring acts don't do that much
performance, so I decided to get the solo act together. That led me to take
a second look at what's available for sequencing. Started poking at one of the
two better ones when this distributed processing concept was revealed to me.
That was around May and I've been investigating the situation since then.

Okay, gotta go and do