Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 09:11:22 EEST

On Thursday 19 August 2004 12:35 am, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 21:27, John Check wrote:
> > > Con: Sending data for each single plugins produces more overhead and
> > > thus takes up more cpu power on the host.
> >
> > Well there is Moore's law *ducks*
>
> BZZT, wrong. This kind of thinking leads to having to upgrade every few
> years just to have it not be any faster (but more features!). Moore's
> law is NEVER a valid excuse to do things in a sub-optimal way just
> because you don't have time to do it right.

Heheh, well I _ducked_ because on more than one occasion when I brought up
off loading softsynths and FX to another host, I got Moore's law as a
rationale for not worrying about processor power. I mentioned the corollary
you allude to in yesterdays post.

> That kind of attitude is why gnome-terminal on a modern machine is
> sluggish compared to xterm on a P200.

Not a big fan of GNOME. I have a p200 laptop with 40Mb and I had to set up an
NFS share just to have room to install it. Same laptop with "the other"
desktop ran (slow, but it was usable when everything was loaded) and had
enough free disk to not step on roots reserve.

Whatever works for you is my motto