[linux-audio-dev] Howto grab keys?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Howto grab keys?
From: Pamplemousse_mk2 (pamplemousse_mk2_AT_netcourrier.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 13:56:00 EEST

Hello,

I'm using PortAudio library to try to program a loop-sampler software
under Linux (and perhaps Windows). Actually, I would like to make a
console-based software. I would like to know how could I manage entries
from keyboards. I think that ncurses lib is a good choice. But my
problem is in algorithm term.

I think that making a code in the main() like this:

while (true) {
   if (key is pressed) {
     switch (value of the key) {
       case 'A':
         proceed to FFT ;
         break;
       case 'B':
         proceed to time stretch
         break;
       case 'C:
         reduce volume
         break;
    }
   }
   wait for a certain time;
}

is not a good idea. I know that with MFC there is event management with
WM messages. I don't know what is there under Linux, especially in
console-based apps. With GUI libs like GTK, no problems I think. But
what about console-based apps?

Does anybody knows some internet sites, or some other libraries, or some
methods (perhaps multithreads? seems to be heavy for just event
managements...). I have look at ncurses docs but they shows an example
with a kind of loop like the one I just talk about above. Any advice is
welcome

Bye.