Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines
From: Thorsten Wilms (t_w__AT_freenet.de)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 11:26:53 EEST

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:30:59AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> I just installed jack-rack and find the mouse wheel behavior a bit odd.
> The sliders are horizontal, and turning the wheel 'up' (away from you)
> decreases the slider value, and vice versa.

Both QT and GTK sliders work that way.
Anybody knows how it's on Windows or Mac OS?

I would argue with vertical sliders the high value should be at
the top, turning the wheel up should move the slider up, just
like with scrollbars.
Horizontal sliders should be seen as rotated 90 degress to the right,
so that highest value is to the right, to match with reading direction
(from low to high, just like you would put numbers in a row).
That means wheel up -> slider moves to the right.

The behaviour as described above seemed so naturaly to me, that
I never though about having it the other way for fan-sliders

But the standard set by QT/GTK is hard to ignore, at least as long
as normal sliders are used.

---
Thorsten Wilms