Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 23:38:03 EEST

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:06:01 +0200
Melanie <melanie_AT_t-data.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2004.08.21 20:05 Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > Hmm, i cannot believe that users really expect the horizontal
> > scrollbars to go right when wheeling down. That just doesn't feel
> > natural at all.
>
> Well, it does feel perfectly natural to me...

Ok, then it's different for the two of us. Reading the responses of the
others here i think the vast majority of people would prefer it my way
[of course this conclusion is based on very very thin empiric data :)].
But w/o further research we cannot make a judgement about which way
is "right".. Especially as there is no "right" way as we can see in this
thread..

> > Has there been research done? I would like to see some sources to
> > back that up..
>
> Micro$oft has done the most extensive UI research known to man. Their
> sliders move left when wheeling up.... go figure!

Hmmm. I never knew windows could even do this. Well it's been a while :)
I personnally would wish at least for user configurability so everyone
can have it to his/her liking..

flo