Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 00:31:48 EEST

On Saturday 21 August 2004 04:51 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 16:36, John Check wrote:

> > > Which is why is HAS to work the same way in every app. You can't
> > > expect users to make mental notes of differences like this from app to
> > > app.
> >
> > I agree, but I think "should" is a more realistic position than "has to".
>
> Sorry, I disagree. This kind of thing is MADDENING for users and makes
> Linux look fly-by-night.

That presumes we have a monopoly on inconsistency. ;)
Having a consistent interface will definitely work to our advantage, but
I'm talking about near term when I say things like that. Being as I'm not
going to be the one coding, I can't say "must" or "has to".

> Of course, you can't force people to follow human interface guidelines
> in the free software world. All we can do is carefully develop them
> based on what users want, then if you choose not to comply you are
> explicitly stating that you are hubristically choosing to ignore the
> users need for a consistent experience.

And in that case one gets what one deserves. From what I can see so far
WRT proprietary stuff, there are a lot of little annoyances that add up to a
lot of opportunity for LA.