Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [off-list] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [off-list] Read this after your first cup of coffee
From: Simon Jenkins (sjenkins_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 12:50:39 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

>>>erm... actually they can:
>>>
>>>http://www.digidesign.com/users/user_story.cfm?story_id=1020
>>>

>>well spotted that man.
>>

>well, yes and no.

Yes and no indeed: Its possible but it involves extra hardware,
extra software, and is still nowhere near as convenient. "Don't
try this at home" as mr Boggs says, although there's an implied
"unless you have to" since he and plenty of others /are/ using it.

I'm surprised that you seem to be classifying DAW GUIs as
fundamental capabilities of the system. I'd have thought that the
split between backend and GUI marked, more or less precisely,
the boundary between its capabilities and its /conveniences/.

Now, admittedly, some of these conveniences may be near
indispensible to work effectively with the product: If you
have a capability to manipulate many hundreds of audio
events then you need a convenient way (as convenient as
can be achieved, anyway) to keep track of where (/when)
they all are. The GUI provides this convenience... IF you
can use it. But if you can't? The capabilities are still there!
You just need to find a different way of getting at them.
(OK, that's a big "just").

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)