Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: james_AT_dis-dot-dat.net
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 14:17:22 EEST

Don't give up just yet!

On Tue, 24 Aug, 2004 at 12:38PM +0200, mark_AT_kfm.co.za spake thus:
<snip>
> energy - to drown people - to open portals of thought and

Drown people? That's a Freedom that linux doesn't really give you.

<snip>

> My linux thought is that the main difference between linux and
> windows is that under windows everything is packaged i.e. that
> one installation will actually get that desired product to work -
> while under linux a lot more time is spent on finding the correct
> patches mixes matches reading than end time using/producing.
> Obviously linux has flexibility power stability way beyond the
> confines of windows or mac but it is the tieing up of those 'loose
> ends' which make it easier for a new user to get going that make
> the ultimate difference. While windows users have licence issues
> some linux users have other.

I know where you're coming from. As an experienced user, I have no
problem with manually keeping a system udpated, patched ans running
smoothly. Generally, I know where problems that occurr are likely to
come from. The thing is, I don't want all that hassle. If I did,
I'd use LFS. Instead, I use Gentoo.

Gentoo isn't just for ricers. Personally, I find it has the nicest
package management (although that's probably not the best way to
describe it). I've also used Debian, but I still prefer Gentoo -
mainly because it's a little more configurable (like USE flags and
such) and it's a lot more up to date - Debian is safe, stable and
tested to death, Gentoo has regular updates to all components, and
still seems more stable than Debian Sid.

Now, I recommend you give Gentoo a try. Sure, there'll be some pain
- the install process consists of some instructions and a command
prompt - but it's worth it. For a start, you know how your system is
constructed to some degree. Secondly, installing stuff and keeping
stuff updated is a doddle. To install Jack, I type "emerge
jack-audio-connection-kit". When Jack gets updated, my system
updates next time I do an "emerge world". Thirdly, the documentation
is really nice and #gentoo on irc.freenode.net is a very helpful
channel.

Now, I know that other people will favour other distros. I know that
Gentoo isn't for everybody. But I like gentoo, and I think you
might, too.

Give it a whirl. If you're reinstalling all the time anyway, why not
try it out.

Have fun.

James

<snip>