Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 00:16:41 EEST

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 17:11, Jan Depner wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Try loading Fedora Core 1 - 100 MB /boot partition, 10GB /
> partition, 2047MB swap, the rest of first disk as /audio or whatever.
> Load "everything" in the package selection (there's an "everything"
> button - this is the coward's way out but you don't have dependency
> hell). Go to Planet CCRMA
> (http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)
> and load up what you need. You'll get the low latency kernel and pretty
> much anything else you might need there. This is the simplest way to
> get started that I have seen. If you have problems just ask, someone
> will be able to help. There is some good tuning info on the planet and
> some more on my page - http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/

I recommend leaving plenty of unpartitioned space at first. This way,
if you decide whatever you try first is not right for you, or if you
just want to try another distribution, you can just make another 10GB
partition and install onto it. If you partition the entire disk when
you start, then you are basically stuck with whatever you try first,
unless you want to reinstall.

Once you are more comfortable with the setup this will also allow you to
do things like test different filesystems by copying your system to a
different partition.

Lee