Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: james_AT_dis-dot-dat.net
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 00:52:28 EEST

Not meaning to start a war or nuthin', but...

On Tue, 24 Aug, 2004 at 02:55PM +0200, Robert Jonsson spake thus:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2004 13.50, mark_AT_kfm.co.za wrote:
> > Thanks for your support and I will give Gentoo a shot..
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> I have to disagree with this advice. Though gentoo will give you immense
> insight into how things work and it's probably unparallelled performance I
> would not consider it an operating system for a beginners.
> I would, on similar grounds, also not recommend slackware...

I recommend Gentoo still. Once it's set up, the package management
just works. And Debian is great, I agree. In fact, I used it for
over a year, but music software seems to go through many changes in a
short time and Debian stable just isn't up to date - and yes, I know
it;s not supposed to be. I also know about Sid - Debian Unstable.
And while it's a lot more stable than it's namesake, it's just not as
stable as Gentoo.

Another reason I prefer Gentoo to Debian - Debian can start stomping
it's feet and having fits at you if you mess with it too much.
Gentoo seems much more willing to accept thepoking that's sometimes
too hard to resist. YMMV, of course, but that's what made me switch
in the end. The same goes for Redhat and the others of that breed.

I didn't recommend Gentoo for it's performance, just it's niceness.

> They are both very competitive on their own merits but this does not include
> ease of use/setup etc...
>
> I defintely think you should try a binary-only distibution.
> Fedora/Mandrake/Suse/Debian

This is sound advice, of course. I still say give Gentoo a chance.
Try installing it and if you get to instruction 3 or 4 and your head
hurts too much, then just go back to a binary distro. You're
reinstalling anyway, right? You might even find that it's not that
much of a hassle.

There's another post daring to point out that Gentoo isn't for
everybody*, but I see that one has been fielded by one of the other
followers.

*That's right, it's not for everybody. If it was, we couldn't be so
elitist and snobby about using it.

If all of the argument so far hasn't swayed you, try this:

Gent00 r0xx0r5 ur b0xx0rs.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)