Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 04:20:54 EEST

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 07:56 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > Are you sure you wanted to say that ;)
>
> Yes. First rule of optimization: don't optimize something that's
> statistically irrelevant. The speed or lack thereof of portage
> is irrelevant given that its intended purpose is fetch source code
> across a network and then compile and install it.
> It's only an issue if the user interface (emerge) "feels" slow
> and I've never noticed it.

What's that quote about "lies, damn lies and statistics"? ;)

I'm talking about the time to parse the package tree mainly. When I first
installed it early '02 compared to when I got fed up a year later, my
impression was is slowed up, but I didn't have the foresight to time it.
To me, anytime spent waiting counts, but it's not worth quibbling over.