Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: james_AT_dis-dot-dat.net
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 21:41:35 EEST

On Wed, 25 Aug, 2004 at 01:48PM -0400, John Check spake thus:
<snip multiple levels of replies>
> YES. This is a much better argument. If it wasn't for having to keep a source
> respository (maybe it's optional) that would save disk space. I used to mount
> the cache on an NFS share (only had a 20GB disk).

I was going to say you could have a cron job that ran when nobody's
likely to be using the machine that first checks to see if anything's
being emerged and then deletes the source cache. But then I realised
two things.

Thing 1: People will moan "But a newbie wouldn't want to mess..."

Thing 2: Now that I think about it, I think there may be an option to
               remove source tarballs when they've been used. I don't
         worry about disk space, so I've never looked into it.

> Now if I had an office full
> of clones and a build host, that's as good as it gets.

If you're anything but a total newbie (and I doubt you are) then you
can get some serious improvement in emerge times by using distcc.

Does that sound complicated? Here's how you do it.

1. Emerge distcc and configure it with distcc-config. It's easy,
   honest.
2. In /etc/make.conf, add -jN to your MAKEOPTS. N is the number of
   simultaneous compilings you want. It is suggested you use 2C+1,
   where C is the number of CPUs you're using. This goes for
   non-distcc systems, too, unless you have old hardware.
3. In the same file, add "distcc" to your FEATURES variable.

A more detailed how-to: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

I used this for a while, but my other machine is too noisy to leave
on (It's a HP Kayak xeon thing - the chassis is made of lead or
something I think, and the fans sound like a vaccum cleaner) and my
GF insists on using Windows. Not just any old windows, either -
Windows ME.

<ricer>
Maybe when I'm rich and have a herd of boxen, I'll do it again. If
for nothing else than to stand in the middle of the room and scream
"The POWER! The sweet intoxicating POWWWWEEEEEER!".
</ricer>

> > Personally, I don't bother, but that's where the real speed
> > differences come from. Absolutely nothing is installed unless you
> > need it or asked for it. No daemons floating around "just in case".
> >

> Also a cogent point.
>
> > Anyway, I think I'll stop now. If anyone knows where that article
> > about the two emacs users comparing their systems is, please send me
> > a link.
> >
> > James
> >
> > > Erik
>
> Me Too!