Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new patent to worry about

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new patent to worry about
From: Andrea Glorioso (sama_AT_miu-ft.org)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 23:02:53 EEST

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:09:37 +0000
> Jennifer Dillon <dmidi_AT_l4l.ie> wrote:

>> Do the new patent laws allow somebody to patent methods that
>> are already in the public domain???

> Currently the the USPTO is allowing just about anything to be
> patented and the PTO simply doesn't have the manpower to do
> proper prior art searches. This effectively means that something
> already in the public domain could end up being patented by
> someone.

> However, if prior art existsm the patent can be challenged and
> overturned.

Only if you have enough money and time to afford to do that.
Microsoft (and IBM and a ton of other big companies, for the record)
have it. I don't - and I don't know how many members of the LAD list
do.

>From a purely theroretical point of view, almost 99% [0] of the
software patents that have been granted in the US and in the EU [1]
are not dangerous, because they obviously fail the `priort art' and/or
on the `innovative' checks.

Actually going from theory to practice when confronted with a
multinationall behemoth can be, let's say, "non-trivial".

Sorry for the OT rambling.

Bye,

--
Andrea Glorioso             sama_AT_miu-ft.org         +39 333 820 5723
        .:: Media Innovation Unit - Firenze Tecnologia ::.

[0] No, I didn't check all of them. That's a metaphorical number (you thought imaginary numbers were enough, didn't you?)

[1] Yes, software patents are granted in the EU even though, as of today, it's not legal to do it.