Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro
From: J_Zar (romaninz_AT_aruba.it)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 01:59:41 EEST

Alle 12:38, martedě 24 agosto 2004, mark_AT_kfm.co.za ha scritto:
> My linux thought is that the main difference between linux and
> windows is that under windows everything is packaged i.e. that
> one installation will actually get that desired product to work -
> while under linux a lot more time is spent on finding the correct
> patches mixes matches reading than end time using/producing.

I think your intention was not opening a post about what's the best distrib.
Just be of the idea that what you know is good: so also running a Mandrake,
generally thinked for newbes, if you know very well your software, gives you
good performances and satisfactions. But that's not the point...

You said a thing which OSS programmers should know: programming means writing
something which a common user (yes... the "stupid" user, pardon for the
expression ) could use and manage. Packages help a little, but programs are
coded 6 times on 10, requiring optional configuration and hitting the
standardization.

The real evil is that OSS programmers (and I'm one of the team) wrote their
programs thinking to other coders. No reason to be if the code is useful only
for you... No reason to advertize a thing if we cannot use it... What's
about?

>From some time I'm addressing my sight in this direction: common user is my
goal. People shouldn't need to lost their time on build problems or config if
they haven't.

> It matters little to me if one program does something in one way
> as opposed to a different way in a different program - i.e. each
> program is unique unto itself and should be learnt seperately. My
> problem in this area has been to get them to work together or
> through each other with results.
>
> I return to my silent world of learning and eventually achieving in
> linux but that's my two cents.

Never be silent... just say what you think... always!

--

             J_Zar         Gianluca Romanin         ----------------       see you at OpenJay.Org