[linux-audio-dev] miniDV audio format

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] miniDV audio format
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 01:08:31 EEST

1)Does anyone know what format digital audio is stored in for miniDVs?

I know the audio can be 12 or 16 bit and I know that (at least for the
tapes I have) SP is about 60 minutes and LP is about 90 minutes. So, I
figure the sample rates are probably something like 48kHz for SP and
32KHz for LP, but I haven't found a definitive reference, yet.

I ask because I've had a canon zr60 miniDV camcorder for about a year
and have recently started using it to collect sounds. For now I'm
recording from the analog output of the camcorder into my delta66.
Obviously, this is less than ideal, but far superior to the handheld
voice recorder analog cassette tape solution I've been using for the
past 8 years. :-]

2)I've briefly glanced over the web page for kino:
http://kino.schirmacher.de/article/static/2
It appears kino will handle recording the video from a ieee1394
connection and also includes a tool for stripping audio out of the video
to a wav file. Anyone here have any experience to share in using kino,
or any other package, to do something like this?

3)Does it matter what ieee1394 interface I get, or are they all
basically the same as long as there's kernel support for them?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Rz.

PS appologies if this has been discussed recently. I've been away on
vacation and haven't had time to follow the lists closely for 3-4 weeks.
-edrz