[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 13:43:16 EEST

Hi all,

Ok, so I'm playing with osc (currently doing gui->app communication with it)
but all my individual apps still talk midi between them. This is quite
cumbersome, as I want to start having lots of controls that midi doesn't
support - and I don't really "think" in midi these days anyway.

Is there a case now to ditch midi support and go with osc for everything? I
see midi messages are a type within osc anyway - is it fairly straight forward
to be backwards compatible this way?

cheers,

dave