[linux-audio-dev] libao latency

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] libao latency
From: Thomas Kay (thomas.kay_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 14:17:22 EEST

Hi All,

I'm trying to develop a custom wav player app using libao - I need to
keep the audio latency as small as possible in this project. I was
wondering if anybody has done any tests to see how latent libao is for
this, or whether I should just throw in the towel now, and move to
jack/libalsa?

Also I was wondering whether reading each sample at a time from a file
is likely to be dropping the real-time ness, or whether people have
found that this isn't really such a limiting factor.

At the moment it seems quite slow, but then I am developing in vmware-
so I guess that adds quite alot of latency!?

Tom