[linux-audio-dev] a question re: the MIDI spec

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] a question re: the MIDI spec
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 16:34:50 EEST

Greetings:

  I'm doing some research for an article about Linux MIDI support. In my
text I briefly describe the evolution of the MIDI specification since
its adoption, mentioning things like MIDI Time Code, MMC, the sample
dump standard, and the standard MIDI file. However, one item has me a
bit mystified. I'm unable to ascertain whether multi-port interfaces are
in fact described and supported by the spec. I checked the MMA docs
on-line, and I also have the Sciacciaferro/De Furia MIDI Programmers
Handbook, but nowhere do those sources indicate explicit support for
multi-port hardware. Are multi-port MIDI interfaces vendor-specific
solutions or is there actually an extension to the MIDI spec somewhere
that I'm just missing ? TIA!

Best regards,

dp