[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 06:53:48 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 17:38, Lee Revell wrote:
>>If you want to try the new 2.6 low latency kernel, here is a QuickStart:
>>Start with:
>> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.8.tar.bz2
>>Then apply these patches in this order:
>> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.9-rc1.bz2
>> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/patch-2.6.9-rc1-bk12.bz2
>> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk12-R9
>>This will give you the irq threading settings in /proc that other posters referred to.
>>Please keep in mind that this is not completely stable yet, I would not
>>recommend it for production use, but it works very well for many
>>people. You are likely to have better results on a regular 32 bit
>>single processor (that means no hyperthreading) x86 desktop system,
>>because this has been well tested.
> Ugh, typo, the last patch should be 'R6' and not 'R9'.

Well, actually there is an R9 out today ...

I have it patched, compiled and installed.

audiobox:~# uname -r
2.6.9-rc1-bk12-vp-r9

(had to lowercase the extraversion stuff to comply with debian policy
when making .deb with make-kpkg)

I've set all the /proc and /sys stuff I could find in the wiki (console
output below). Still, I get xruns reported by my ecasound 8 analogueOsc
thingy. Interestingly, though, they now only happen when I start the
second ecasound process to record from the jack outputs of the first.
I'll double check that with previous kernel versions when I get a
chance, but I'm fairly sure this is new and an improvement.

Subjectively, the sound of the analogueOscs is smoother and the zipper
noise from controller movements seems much less, but still the first
ecasound reports xruns when it exits.

As I said earlier today, I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to help
out by reporting. I'm eager and willing to help with debugging. Is there
anything I may have missed?

What other info should I provide?

Thanks,
Eric Rz.

audiobox:~# cat /proc/sys/kernel/*_preemption
1
1
1
1
audiobox:~# grep . /proc/irq/*/*/threaded
/proc/irq/1/i8042/threaded:1
/proc/irq/11/YMFPCI/threaded:1
/proc/irq/12/i8042/threaded:1
/proc/irq/14/ide0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/15/ide1/threaded:1
/proc/irq/4/eth0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/8/rtc/threaded:1
/proc/irq/9/ICE1712/threaded:1
audiobox:~# echo 0 > /proc/irq/9/ICE1712/threaded
audiobox:~# echo 0 > /proc/irq/8/rtc/threaded
audiobox:~# echo 0 > /proc/irq/11/YMFPCI/threaded
audiobox:~# grep . /proc/irq/*/*/threaded
/proc/irq/1/i8042/threaded:1
/proc/irq/11/YMFPCI/threaded:0
/proc/irq/12/i8042/threaded:1
/proc/irq/14/ide0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/15/ide1/threaded:1
/proc/irq/4/eth0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/8/rtc/threaded:0
/proc/irq/9/ICE1712/threaded:0
audiobox:~# grep . /sys/block/*/queue/max_sectors_kb
/sys/block/hda/queue/max_sectors_kb:1024
/sys/block/hdc/queue/max_sectors_kb:1024
audiobox:~# echo 16 > /sys/block/hda/queue/max_sectors_kb
audiobox:~# echo 16 > /sys/block/hdc/queue/max_sectors_kb
audiobox:~# grep . /sys/block/*/queue/max_sectors_kb
/sys/block/hda/queue/max_sectors_kb:16
/sys/block/hdc/queue/max_sectors_kb:16