Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC vs MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC vs MIDI
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 19:38:51 EEST

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:09:26AM -0700, Andrew Burgess wrote:

> >> I wonder if it's possible to use portmap for service discovery?
>
> >I dont know, but I think you shouldn't :)
>
> Please say why. Thanks!

Well, IIRC portmap just does mappings from RPM IDs to port numbers for a
particular machine - it doesnt know about protocols, and it doesnt work on
the subnet level.

You could do some two layer thing where you use portmap to discover the
sevice discovery service, you you still need to define the 2ndry protocol.

With zeroconf you can ask for all services running on _udp._osc (or
_tcp._osc, etc.) and get them back, which a short description and/or a bit
of metadata. Much more useful.

Also (in the realm of hearsay here) portmap has a strong reputation
for general bugginess and ickyness.

- Steve