Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC vs MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC vs MIDI
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 20:29:51 EEST

Andrew Burgess wrote:

>>>I dont know, but I think you shouldn't :)
>>>

>>Seconded. There is a good reason that portmap has been around for 20
>>years or so and only NFS uses it.
>

> Please tell us what that reason is...
> Thanks in advance

well, you never know which ports to expect. this makes portmapped
services basically useless through firewalls and very hard if not
impossible to tunnel.
any service that uses the portmapper is limited to single subnets in
practice, preferably trusted ones.

	- Brian W. Kernighan

Jörn Nettingsmeier Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Germany http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server) http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)