[linux-audio-dev] Re: This better not be patented...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: This better not be patented...
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 13:58:15 EEST

>From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se>
>
>> The article says quite clearly that the invention is patented.
>> They would be fools not to try to patent it because the market
>> is huge.
>
>I did not find any references to patents except for the word
>"invention". Not even "patent pending"?

It was this version of the news:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040902_135943.html

 "Pricing was not announced yet, but Cann says he will make his technology
 available for "far less" than the cost of professional studio DSP solutions
 which can run into the high five-figure range. He estimates the price
 will be somewhere between $200-$800."

The "technology" is the way how audio is stored to texture memory.
And the audio is apparently stored as float data as the text below
could indicate.

 "At this time, Cann plans to only support Nvidia graphics cards. "When I
 started, ATI had a problem with floating point data. I have heard they
 have resolved it, but I won't have time to purchase and research their
 newest cards until after this is released," he said."

Juhana