[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Jack Audio Connection Kit 0.98.16 Release

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Jack Audio Connection Kit 0.98.16 Release
From: Dan Mills (dmills_AT_spamblock.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 01:36:41 EEST

On Monday 20 September 2004 22:41, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:49:01AM -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> > JACK is a low-latency audio server, written primarily for the GNU/Linux
> > operating system. It can connect a number of different applications to
> > an audio device, as well as allowing them to share audio between
> > themselves. Its clients can run in their own processes (ie. as normal
> > applications), or can they can run within the JACK server (ie. as a
> > "plugin").
>
> I'm familiar with using jackd + clients such as ecsound, alsaplayer,
> (soon) ices, etc, etc. But, I can't think of anything that runs as a
> jack plugin. Are there any implemented? Are there some plugins that run
> in certain jack configurations without me being explicitly aware of
> them?

I have a not quite ready for release version of my clickless audio switch as
an in process client. The context switch inherent in having it in its own
address space is almost certanally more expensive the the actual
processing....

For this sort of very simple utility the plugin architecture is ideal.

Regards, Dan.

--
** The email address  *IS*  valid, do  NOT  remove the spamblock
And on the evening of the first day the lord said...........