Re: [linux-audio-dev] qjackctl port list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] qjackctl port list
From: Rui Nuno Capela (rncbc_AT_rncbc.org)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 01:23:49 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> Florian's suggestion makes sense, of naming the ports like something in
>> the lines of:
>>
>> out_1L
>> out_1R
>> out_2L
>> out_2R
>
> I tried a number of different schemes, and here are the results:
>
> (creation order 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, ....)
>
> -> 4L 3L 1L 2L 2R 4R 3R 1R ????
> -> out1L out2L out3L out4L out1R out2R out3R out4R
> -> out_1L out_2L out_3L out_4L out_1R out_2R out_3R out_4R
> -> out_L1 out_L2 out_L3 out_L4 out_R1 out_R2 out_R3 out_R4
>
> So none of them is really satisfactory, and this is only a simple case.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. And only now I see that qjackctl's jack port
list sorting is somewhat flawed, and has been like that for quite a long
time.

Nevertheless, I'm really glad you noticed and insisted on the matter, Fons.

In fact, even my suggestion of numbering ports like out_1L, out_1R, ...
doesn't come right either, as you've verified.

I though the correct sorted output should be:

  out_1L
  out_1R
  out_2L
  out_2R

but it actually comes like this:

  out_1L
  out_2L
  out_1R
  out_2R

so I think I gotta review the code, as it doesn't obey the "natural" order
I've mentioned earlier which I guess as being the consensual one to do.

I think you shouldn't bother on jack maintaining any guarantee on port
ordering, as clients might be quite dynamic in general, when regarding
port (de)registering.

Bye now. But I'll be back...

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela