[linux-audio-dev] killer app idea

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] killer app idea
From: Aaron (aamehl_AT_actcom.net.il)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 22:52:16 EEST

Hi all,

I have been mostly lurking so far but I thought I might send out two
ideas for killer apps I had.

1. Basically a front end to lilypond which will work
more like a audio program.

In many audio editors you can see the wav or a square block on a track.

I had this idea of a notation editor that has tracks you can create your
form ABA, lets say, and add markers for them. Then create motives which
 via midi or notation will become lilypond notation in the end. This
chunk can then be put on a track.
>The chunk can be displayed as a staff with the notes(graphic), as the
lilypond, or just a blank track. In the same way a daw may display a
chunk of audio a a rectangle or a wave.

These Chunk can be copied, pasted transposed retrograded etc, new chunks
could be added and manipulated.

My reasoning is as follows, when will Linux shine? when it does
something unique not done by others. Thats what makes jack/ardour etc so
appealing.

Fo notation midi input exists with rumor or a number or existing libs,
creating an on the fly lilypond file is very possible, infact if the
graphic (staff) representation was left off all the parts already exist.

2. This I call V.A.W it has a drawback in that the base technology is
currently closed source, but this might be subject to change..

here goes a inventer I know wanted to see if it was possible to recreate
what it says in the Hebrew Torah (Bible) the the Jews on Mount Sinai
Roim et Ha Kolot. (they say the sounds) He created a way to translate
sound waves into light waves and display them. He found some very
interesting things. (Hebrew letters spoken display as the shape of the
letter). I sang into his device and saw Bach and other music display via
his device. All overtones are displayed and visible as different colors.
The sound of a audio mix is visually open for all to see.

This is very hard to grasp without seeing.....

My idea is to take his algorism/app and reverse the process and have the
ability to take the visual and turn it back to audio. This would be like
view on midi editors with the squares you can change to effect the
sound, only not midi but audio!

I wrote out very detailed plans for this app, again this is something
that just doesn't exist, image not having to rely soley on your ears
when adding effects to a mix but being able to see how the changes you
make actually effect the way it looks/sounds and I mean in detail. There
are so many possibilities for this.
In a regular daw your see I think only amplitude and something else (the
wav display)

If this one isn't clearly described I will try again.

Aaron