Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux and Standards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux and Standards
From: lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 21:08:13 EEST

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:23:04AM -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> AUDIO-RELATED STANDARDS THAT CAME FROM LINUX COMMUNITY (in no
> particular
> order -- it's 3am, give me a break ;-)
> Jack, LADSPA, LASH, ALSA, Ogg/Vorbis, others?

RTP MIDI was prototyped on Linux (sfront). And
while I'm pretty sure Eric Scheirer prototyped
saolc (MPEG 4 Structured Audio) on SGI IRIS, a lot of the
late-stage debugging and Corrigenda changes
were done as part of sfront.

Although, in the interest of full disclosure,
I switched my desktop to OS X a few years
ago, so at this point its fair to say the reference
platform going forward for sfront-related standards
work is OS X ... although if I had enough energy to
maintain two desktops I'd make the second one Linux :-).

---
John Lazzaro
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
---