Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] dssi-vst 0.3

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] dssi-vst 0.3
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 21:40:42 EET

Hi Chris!

I read in the documentation that (4-byte) midi-messages from the
UserInterface has no implicit realtime timing. Thats OK for me, but
could you please make a cross-reference to where the reliable midi, or
midi to OSC, takes place?

I like the idea of UI being a seperate app, but ...

I am into a similar idea, although by using memmap, but, as I understand
it, that won't work with your scheme?

Hmmm ... I have almost nothing going on between engine and UI except for
that UI might have decided to update the patch (and engine might via
midi have decided to change to another patch) ...

The race is always on a single integer though. Both UI and engine
modify/use the same "scratch" area, which can only be changed one
parameter at the time. Iff there is a race, the timing will be so narrow
so that "your hand" won't know wether it was early or late. So in
reality, the problem never occurs.

On a related matter:

Inspired by the potential of "Dizzy", I again atempted to convert this
machine to alsa. I have alsa sources and modules precompiled by
distribution (Mandrake), so it should be peace of cake, no?

Running alsaconf reveals no PCI cards (expected), but also no ISA cards,
which is odd, since there is supposed to sit a Creative Vibra here? I
actually use it every day ...

Running sndconf (Redhats oldish tool) is almost as bad, except for
rounding off with a manual config before giving up totally completely.

I have this (OSS) /etc/modules.conf:

| probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
| probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
| alias eth0 3c59x
| alias sound-slot-0 sb
| options sound dmabuf=1
| alias synth0 opl3
| options opl3 io=0x388
| options sb isapnp=1
| alias eth1 8139too

... Now what should I do to force alsa to get going?
It's a SB Vibra.X which is supposed to be supported?

Dazed, confused and "Dizzy" // Jens M Andreasen