Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low-latency audio over IP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low-latency audio over IP
From: Asbjørn Sæbø (asbjs_AT_stud.ntnu.no)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 15:15:46 EET

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 10:55:32PM +1300, Niklas wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:25, Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:

> [...]
> > A crucial point is to achieve audio transmission with very low latency.
> > If anyone could provide me with information on, or pointers to,
> > open-source software for doing this, I would be grateful. [...]

> Soundmesh might do a bit what you want.
> http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/index2nf.html or
> http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/%7Emara/soundmesh/

Thanks, I will look into that.

> Please keep me (and/or the list) updated on your progress, I'm very
> interested on a cooperation.

Noted. I'll just have to do some progress first ;-)

The current version is _very_ basic. I have however acheived a latency
of 12ms end to end (analog to analog), of which 8.7ms are due to to the
buffer of the sound card. So one of the next things is to try on a
better sound card.

(By the way, a back-of-the-envelope calculation gives me that the
absolute minimum latency physically possible is about 67ms (one way)
between two antpodes of the earth. And New Zealand is about antipodal
to Norway. The ping time to NZ was 330ms (two-way) some day I checked
it.)

Asbjørn