Re: audioscience [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: audioscience [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 04:04:44 EET

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 20:19, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> > Thanks for the vote of confidence!
> >
> > > Do you mean the ALSA developers? Audioscience does its drivers for ALSA,
> > > no volunteers needed. :)
> >
> > Not so fast... we at audioscience would love to have some help with our ALSA
> > driver and our underlying HPI driver.
> > We are a small company that supports various Micros~1 flavours as well as
> > Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernel variations. I am the single person who does all the
> > linux stuff, and would still say I don't know enough to do it easily or
> > properly.
> >
> > (Of course I have had help from our customers and other alsa developers, and
> > kudos to Takashi Iwai for doing the work to incorporate our ALSA driver into
> > the alsa tree)
> >
> > So step right up...
>
> Hi Eliot, thanks for clarifying this up for us. Nevertheless i think
> that what you do is great and your the *only* company that does provide
> official alsa drivers and support for professional audio products(i know
> it's just you but anyway, the philosophy is cool). I think that you
> would get a lot of feedback if you entered the studio market.

> > So, what is the difference between our current offerings and what you'd like
> > to see in a "pro audio card"?
>
> I think that having a breakout box with 24/192 converters inside the
> breakoutbox would rock. 8 analog i/o is fine too. Most such devices
> usually offer around 26 channels of inputs + 26 chans of outputs, ~1/2
> being digital. Hmmm now that i think about it, the 5042(the AES/EBU one)
> with a breakoutbox with analog i/o would be really cool. Not sure about
> how much load the DSP processor can handle and whether it's flotingpoint
> capable, but running a few ladspas on such DSP would be very nice too.
> :)

        There seem to be a number of things that you could offer ranging from
something like the M-Audio 1010 to the top end RME products. There is
also a lot of interest at the moment in some sort of firewire audio
interface which could be very handy for laptop users. Apparently RME
will not be providing information for their latest firewire device.
Until Marek mentioned the company I had never heard of audioscience. I
would certainly be more inclined to support a company with this kind of
policy towards Linux.

Jan