Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 00:32:30 EET

On Sun, 2004-28-11 at 14:17 +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

> >> Maybe not to them but look at Mackie and Behringer.
> >
> > Just to save people some googling here is a thread that documents the
> > long and colorful history of pro audio hardware manufacturers blatantly
> > ripping each other off, often leaving the victims with no legal
> > recourse:
> >
> > http://homerecording.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-74439.html
> >
> > IMO the issue is not whether RME's concern is valid - clearly it is.
> > Sorry, but arguing otherwise makes us look stupid and naive. The issue
> > is how to address this concern. If that means a closed source Linux
> > driver, fine.
>
> No, not fine, not for me, not at all. Simplified, I'll buy FireWire interfaces
> from the first manufacturer who comes out with proper open source linux
> support and the features I need. For all others, sorry, no bussiness with
> me. Especially since there are PCI interfaces around, and if I really
> wanted to do pro audio on my laptop I could get a PCMCIA card as well.

Ditto. A closed driver is not fine at all. It's worse than no driver
at all, since it sets a /very/ dangerous precedent. (If you don't think
it's a dangerous precedent you just have no foresight and havn't
actually thought about the implications at all)

If you want to use proprietary drivers, go use Windows or Mac OS or
Solaris or whatever suits you.... seriously. Both Windows and MacOS are
extremely superior in terms of support for Audio hardware (and
software). Go use them. The solitary reason to use Linux you clearly
don't care about so... why use it? It just doesn't make sense.

I'd rather not have people with this ignorant 'closed drivers = good'
opinion turning Linux into yet another Windows. If you want a sh***y
proprietary OS, there's plenty to choose from already. Do the rest of
us a favour and don't advocate turning Linux into yet another one.

-DR-

(P.S. Spare the flames. Seriously.)