Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] caps 0.2.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] caps 0.2.0
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 19:37:53 EET

[Jens M Andreasen]
>On tis, 2004-11-30 at 01:31 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> The CAPS Audio Plugin Suite reincarnates as caps 0.2.0.
>>
>> * By popular demand, a 'true stereo' version of the Plate reverb
>> plugin makes its appearance in this edition, so the numerous original
>> Plate fans can get their favourite thing to play nice with hosts
>> having trouble dealing with mono-in, stereo-out effects.
>
>Is this true stereo as in: bounce Left/Right || bounce Right/Left, or is
>it a convenience "monofier" ?

  wet = ports['blend'];
  dry = 1 - wet;
  m = l + r;
  l = dry * l + wet * reverb_l (m);
  r = dry * r + wet * reverb_r (m);

The idea is that early reflections aren't a substantial part of the
Plate sound. Its forte is a smooth, ambient reverb tail. Position of
the reverberated sound source(s) makes little difference to the tail
in physical environments as well as in this algorithm; hence the
convenient mixdown.

'True stereo' is, of course, marketing BS. You may argue that I suffer
from over-exposition to commercial environments; I concur. :)

Cheers, Tim