Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 06:16:52 EET

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 02:48, Paul Davis wrote:
> >The point is not that someone might reverse engineer and do a
> >worse/better oss driver. The point is that nvidia, ati, xgi, matrox
> >*should* do open source drivers.
>
> The point is that nobody has persuaded them of this, and in the matrox
> case, they actually went backwards, from our perspective. These
> companies cannot be shown to be incorrect,

Oh sure they can, as it was the case with iriver.
2 years ago their forums were full of hatefilled msgs just because
people demanded ogg vorbis and were ignored.(or at least it seemed so,
no response from iriver).
Today, we've got an iriver linux device, and almost all of their
products support ogg vorbis. Still they haven't updated their pages
properly and i wonder whether they're also not breaching GPL(see old
'GPL breach' thread in the archives)

> all we can say is that they
> have a different perspective on the world than we do.

Paul, honestly. I can't explain why they haven't even *tried* to install
linux with jack and ardour. If i were them i'd at *least* track the
situation, just to *see* the current state and how well *my* products
work with the drivers. I BET they would fall in love with it. Cause you
can't do otherwise ;) And in such case, they'd probably deliver an alsa
driver for fireface, fireface2, whatever themselves pretty quickly.
And i'd be also interested in how many units were sold due to alsa.If i
were them. If i were them i'd want every customer no matter what.

> Their different
> perspective might make you want to boycott them, or try to change
> their minds. If boycott is your thing, end of story.

No. Boycotting can a very powerful instrument. If there is a valid
reason. And there is one.

> Otherwise, given the apparent absence of a benign, GPL-friendly deity
> who will change their minds on our behalf,

<yelling at everyone that shares this view ;>

AUDIOSCIENCE

> the question would seem to
> be can they be convinced, and if so how? Does anybody think that the
> attitude that Marek and Dave R. have offered might work?

There's them, companies striving for higher revenues. There's us, paying
customers.

Marek