Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi over ethernet

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi over ethernet
From: Hans Fugal (hans_AT_fugal.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 19:57:50 EET

> Last week, I played with m-dist, a bootable Linux CD setup to demo IEEE
> P1639 (D-MIDI), which is MIDI over Ethernet - m-dist has it setup with
> alsa-midi. It seemed to work fine.
> http://www.plus24.com/m-dist/
>
> I believe the source is available on the author's site under software:
> http://www.plus24.com/ieeep1639/
>
> There seems to be a Mac OS X version too, but I haven't checked it out
> myself.

That sounds more sophisticated than what I did, but if it's not
satisfactory (e.g. if you meant internet instead of ethernet), you can
check out nmidi here: http://hans.fugal.net/src/nmidi-0.1.0.tar.gz

It runs over tcp/ip, uses alsa, and was intended to be an MWPP (now
called rtp-midi I think) implementation, but didn't quite make it there
(yet), however it works pretty well anyhow.