Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 03:58:44 EET

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 11:50 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 10:57, Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > All this mentioning of "belief" and "church" to degrade open source
> > people is no better than me calling you and RME Nazis. Seems to be a
> > recurring theme that the person who presents the open source position
> > makes no personal attacks whatsoever, and someone who is okay with
> > proprietary drivers responds with personal attacks (both suggestively by
> > you to Marek and directly by Jan to myself). Let's throw the name
> > calling aside please. Anyway...
> >
> Excuse me Dave. Exactly what personal attack are you talking
> about? You called those of us who stated that we would rather have a
> closed driver than no driver ignorant. I merely asked you to behave in
> a professional manner. Please don't put words into my mouth.
>
> Jan

Your initial reply to me, which was not about the issue at hand
whatsoever - you called me obnoxious and insulting. That counts as a
personal attack in my books, and immediately forced the discussion in a
useless direction. Point is you made comments about me personally, not
my statements (always the sign of someone with no argument to stand on,
BTW)

Anyway, I'm not going to continue this completely pointless avenue of
conversation anymore.

To everyone: how about we end this stupid argument and turn this thread
into something good. Yes, some of us care about freedom, and yes, some
of us don't give a **** about freedom. However, we can all agree that
(from the user perspective) open drivers are vastly superior for us, as
Linux audio users (and to consumers in general). Can't argue about
fact. :)

Why don't we find out the best way we can attempt to convince RME open
is the way to go, and have as many of us as possible contribute?

Options I can think of:

- Mass letter campaign, with a template letter. Good, because it's
easy, also good because it gives the impression of many individual
customers being dissatisfied. This letter could be a "please open your
driver" letter, or an "I'm not buying any of your products ever (again)"
letter, or some combination of both. Either way, the point that a
closed driver is a much less desirable (though not inacceptable, at
least to some of us) must be made (some companies just don't "get it").
It's probably better to ask for specs.. we really have no right to be
demanding RME do more work.

- Petition. Probably not the right attitude we want to project, and
less impact than many individual letters anyway.

- Forum posting. Apparently there's an RME forum? Never seen it
personally. Possibly better than email letters because it's viewable by
the public and they can't just ignore all of us. Plus a productive
conversation might result.

- Nothing. Hardly an ideal option. Making our voices heard can only be
a good thing for linux audio in general.

Maybe we'll send a bunch of letters and get a prompt "we don't care,
shutup" response. Fair enough, but at least we tried.

Anyone?

-DR-