Re: [linux-audio-dev] dssi question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] dssi question
From: Julien Claassen (julien_AT_c-lab.de)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 19:16:23 EET

Hi!
  I've taken a short lookat the dssi specs (6. ui section).
  To tell the host to use a specific UI one could use the suggested naming
conventions: PLUGIN_UI. One could create the ui-programs: PLUGIN_QT and
PLUGIN_TXT and then tell the host try to find TXT ui with a commandline
switch.
  For the uis in general I don't know what you should need. Perhaps things
close to the alsamixer.?
  I expect synths have: continuous sliders (show a percentage bar (very rough)
and display value at bottom (or to the left)).
  Buttons that change states (int-sliders). Well you could build thejm like
that. They could react to the same keys, they'd only show their current state
and no percentage.
  ON/OFF switches. Two thoughts:
  1. have an element where you can use tab or something like that, to switch
or
  2. display specific keys (i.e.: R=turn off reverb).
  Show and hide would have no effect (but they are optional anyway. An
interface like that could be implemented in ncurses or slang.
  A totally different (and not SO intuitive way would be: a commandline based
interface (like a shell - see ecasound, fluidsynth...).
  I hope these thoughts are not too disorganised and not too far from a way to
do it. Thanks for your help. I'll download dssi in a few days and try it the
way it is now anyway. I'm curious.
  Kindest regards
         Julien

--------