[linux-audio-dev] jack, low latency and IO

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] jack, low latency and IO
From: Artem Baguinski (artm_AT_v2.nl)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 14:07:11 EET

I'm a bit puzzled with this one thing about low latency and jack: real
time bits can't do IO, but don't you get latency between say me
pressing some button and sound doing click? there's no garanty the not
realtime part of the application will run often enough to read the
input device, no?

just recently some heavy process started when i was fulling around
with some soft synths [i know that shouldn't be happening, but i just
recently switched distros and I haven't learned enough to write
dont-bother-me script to switch all potential sources of disturbance]
and the GUI of the soft synth became quite irresponsive, while audio
went on without any glitches - that's I suppose because the audio part
was running in realtime thread and decided itself when to yield cpu.

is the only way to ensure the effects don't lag from control input to
make sure I run as little processes as possible and hope the input
thread will be scheduled often enough?

--
Artem Baguinski:                         http://www.artm.org/
V2_Lab:                                  http://lab.v2.nl/